Wednesday, July 7, 2010

From Infinity and Beyond...


I'll have to say, I'm probably one of the harshest movie critics, and Toy Story 3 has made it to one of my top favorites. (And yes, I cried a lot in this movie). Aside from the cute jokes (the bookworm sighing upon seeing "Ken" wear high heels, Ken's awesome clothes ("MISSION TO MARS KEN"), and little green men), I think what makes this movie so special is the tight comaderie that exists amongst these toys and this general childhood nostalgia you feel when you watch this movie.

It's incredible to see, after three movies, how much these toys have each others' backs. They never go out alone, and they've always been there to help out on difficult situations (plot hole? I can't imagine what happened to Bo Peep and Wheezy when they were sold). Sticking together. That's another thing these toys seem to understand. Working together and sticking together. Okay, so they may have serious problems with trust (first movie and third movie they accuse Woody of lying) and sometimes jealousy ("college boy Woody", Buzz Lightyear in the first movie), but overall they've always stuck together and end up together, which I admire very much. I mean nothing they've accomplished would have ever been possible if they hadn't worked together the way they did (yeah come on, they're TOYS for goodness sake). At the end, Woody is at the crossroads for what to do with his friends, and he, of course, chooses them, despite his love for Andy. I guess I was hoping Andy would get to keep him and take him to college with him, but that would have also felt weird--who was Woody without his insanely supportive friends? I know I would be lost without friends like that. But I think we can all learn from the way these toys have managed along ten+ years of difficulties.

And I'll never forget the scene where Bonnie bounces on the bed and snuggles with all her toys. Although it was really funny when it was on screen (slow motion of Woody and the toys bouncing in the air), it struck a raw nerve in me and sent my tear ducts in action because I missed that innocence and simple state of being. It's always hard to pinpoint where and when everything changed, but I still wonder about why it's weird when I make my toys talk to each other now and it was my daily pastime from infinity and beyond ago. And where did I lose all the pleasure in making up stories and making toys kill each other or making them have tea with each other? How did it all go?


Andy was my friend as a kid, and now, we're both going off to college. We shared the same love for our toys and now are both a bit clueless of where they stand. They accompanied us in hard times. They dried our tears when we were upset. We know the best thing to do is to give them to others, so that they can dry the tears of others and provide comfort for others, but at the same time, it's extremely difficult. One thing's for sure, we can never live the way we did from infinity and beyond. Two, actually--Most of us will always yearn for the time we were free of worries and pressures of the real world. When will I ever catch up to myself on this?

I loved this movie more than I would be able to describe, for giving me that one taste of childhood and for the compassion Andy shares with me.
I guess at the end of the day, I'll look forward to something positive. So I guess although I'm missing things from before, I'll be looking To Infinity and Beyond...



Also, Happy 75th Birthday to my favorite spiritual leader of the world! (Well, not comparing with Ghandi).
You are an inspiration to millions and your love has made the world a better place. Peace be with you.

Peace,
Blaize

3 comments:

The Gentleman said...

First of all can I say that this is one of the better written blogs I've read in a while.

Secondly, that the constant raw nerves that were struck was the thing I liked the most about this movie, for every other Pixar film people can confidently argue that it is a kids movie, and heck I guess I'd have to agree with them. But this movie was not made for the 5 to 9 year olds who still have their toys and want to know what they get up to all day like the first 2 movies were. This movie is for the now jaded and socially conscious 18 to 22 year olds who grew up with these characters, who remembers these funny little images as some of their happier childhood memories and wants to be transported back to that time. I know I sure as hell was.

I guess what I want to say is that the messages that you, I and the couple of other thousand people out there got from the first two films are still there and still capturing a new generation of young minds, but they play second string to the celebration and reminder of the innocent childhood we all once had and should never forget.

U-Wen the Cherry said...

Omg, I thought I was silly to feel like crying during TS3 lol~~~ My bf was next to me, and he was like... r u alright? ur shivering.. and i was all like "ya.. i'm fine" w/ a teary voice xD

Unknown said...

So after some trouble "re-locating" your blog, I finally found it! (Well duh why would I be here anyway?)
Despite appearing "cold-blooded" at the theater, I have to say that I felt a sense of childhood nostalgia that was so strong that it became somewhat disturbing. But perhaps that is what makes life full of wonders... the privlege to reminisce over treasured memories that are elusive in nature.

P.S. If I knew Ken was so interesting, my favorite Barbie would have had diverse company instead. :P