Sunday, January 10, 2010

"YAY I GOT INTO COLLEGE!"

Okay so we all know that COLLEGE is something big. COLLEGE is something important. COLLEGE is what determines much of our later lives. COLLEGE is what sends us wildrunning inexperienced teens out into society and the real world.

But I think college is not defined the same way for all of us.

To the Asian Conservative society, it is YOUR FUTURE. Harvard diplomas are unarguably the best thing an Asian parent can brag about for their child. Don't get into college, don't got no future hon. Which college is #1? Which college has the highest GPA-SAT averages amongst its student body? When these undergraduates come out of college, which school's students get most jobs? What are the true secrets of getting into MIT? He must have gotten into Yale because his dad donated a year's salary to the universty! And top this one all gossipy moms: full tuition scholarship for Princeton University! (I've never met anyone who got that). (I did meet someone who got a full tuition scholarship to Stanford University, however).

Okay man. We get it. College is something so judgmental. We base so much of a person's worth on where they get into in college. Is it really that important though?

First of all, how are we supposed to even DETERMINE what the best college is? Of course, there's HYPS, as the whole Asian community is quite familiar with--HARVARDYALEPRINCETONSTANFORD! But with what criterea are we making our judgment on? That these people get the most jobs? That they have the highest GPA-SAT averages? That it's extremely selective? That it's just plain hard to get in?
I'm not sure what all the reasons are, but with those reasons, I'm not convinced. I mean first of all, I don't think these people get the most jobs. And sure it sounds good but if you walk into a job interview and you're just a studious person, no I'm not convinced. And I hate the GPA-SAT rave. Okay sure I have a low SAT score we all know that. But I do have a pretty high GPA. Even so, I don't believe that GPA and SAT can measure us as people. I mean sure, you did well in school if you have a high GPA--you must have studied SOME. And sure, you're pretty quick and on your feet and "intelligent" if you have a high SAT score. But GPA is so volatile as well--maybe you had a bad day and you screwed up a test, or your teacher let your F quiz grade slide. And SAT? Oh man don't get into SAT--you know how small of an area of knowledge SAT tests? With selectivity, I suppose it's valid to say you need to be a "good student" to get into HYPS. But how if you're MERELY studious? What use is that in the real world honestly? If you cant interact with people and communicate well and know how to work the system what is the use of your brains? Can't even get around to using them.

The other thing is, it's not so much of where you go and what college education you have as much as what you do with your college education. You can go to HYPS and come out with nothing. Seriously. I mean sure you can come out extremely smart and studious, but you can also waste your college education away as well. And by that I don't mean slack off four years cuz I'm pretty convinced most HYPSs don't slack that easily, but that you don't make anything out of it--you don't take advantage of your school's curriculum and you don't make use of your college experience. What is rote knowledge for? What about the relationships you gain with certain professors or how into a certain subject you get? Isn't finding all that important as well? I'm convinced it takes more than merely being studious to get there. Also, why do you want to go somewhere you know all you're going to do is study, I mean it's COLLEGE. Make sure you have some time for fun and stuff too.

Anyways again I have a test tomorrow...I would be able to go on forever about this. ToK really gets to you after a while..THE MAP IS NOT THE TERRITORY.

So I just know that whenever I declare YAY I GOT INTO COLLEGE, the yay! is because I got into somewhere I know I'll like, regardless of the GPA-SAT average or the reputation of the school.
And yeah, I should be able to celebrate a bit for getting into college I mean
Mmmhmmmhmm I like this college a lot actually (though it was one of my likely schools)





























Sweeeet aye? (; looks more like a resort haha

The thing everyone has to realize someday is that it doesn't matter where you get into--as long as its somewhere with a good foundation and you know it's not like a stoner school or seriously mad party 24/7 school or anything like that it's going to do you good with the experiences you gain there and I'm sure you'll learn lots wherever you go/get into. Wherever you go just know you have got to make the most out of it, not your parents forcing you or by having it be a well-named school. Then any one college is just as valuable as any other because it specifies to you.

Happy Recieving College Acceptances! :)
-Blaize

2 comments:

U-Wen the Cherry said...

Congratz!

I totally just realized that I created a blogspot last yr @@" Like.. seriously? How? Dream-working >.>" xD

Blaize said...
This comment has been removed by the author.